Branch website name


Bells: Ring of 6 bells (10 cwt / ~510kg) in the key of A flat.
Dedication: St James the Less.  The patron is the Church Society.
Location: OS map ref. SU 634764 (map 175)
Click to view map.
Parking: There is a public car park approx 100m north of the church.  A path at the back of the car park runs through to the west side of the church. 
Access/Height: Ground floor ring with a long draught.  Entrance from outside is via a small door at the base of the tower, or from within the church via the kitchen area.  Access to the belfry is by a fixed ladder in the corner of ringing chamber.
Service ringing: Sunday morning: (TBC)
   10:00am to 10:30am (1st & 3rd Sundays of the month)
   10:30am to 11:00am (2nd Sunday of the month)
   9:30am to 10:00am (4th Sunday of the month)
Sunday evenings - 5:30pm to 6:00pm (1st & 2nd Sundays only)
Practice ringing: Thursday evenings - 8:00pm to 9:15pm
Facilities: Adjacent kitchen area and toilet (may be locked).
Belfry fittings: Belfry access is via a fixed ladder in the corner of the ringing chamber.  There are canons on all of the bells.
© 2005 BM
Pangbourne, © 2005 Bobbie May
Sound symbol- St James the Less, Pangbourne Date: 2008, Pangbourne Local Ringers, Stedman Doubles
Bell details: No. Weight  cwt qr lb  Note Date Cast Founder Inscription
1 4-1-0 F 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester WHEN WE RING I SWEETLY SING A R 1720
2 5-0-0 Eb 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester GOD PRESERVE THE CHURCH AMEN A R 1720
3 5-3-0 Db 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester PEACE & GOOD NEIGHBOURHOOD A R 1720
4 6-0-0 C 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester ABR : RUDHALL OF GLOVCESTER BELLFOVNDER 1720
5 7-2-0 Bb 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester PROSPERITY TO ALL OUR BENEFACTORS A R 1720
6 10-0-0 Ab 1720 Abraham Rudhall II, Gloucester THE REVND BEN LOVELING RECTR : WM LOADER & RICH WILDER  CHURCH WARDENS 1720
History: The brick tower was built in 1718, using chalk-based stone for structural support and faced with brick.  The bells were installed in 1720.  The church was largely restored in 1856, with walls being faced with flints.

The 6 bells were cast by Abraham Rudhall II of Gloucester in 1720.  They were rehung in 1876 by Whites of Appleton and again in 1930 by Mears & Stainbank.

Guidance for Tower Correspondent

Return to the top of the page

Valid CSS!  Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional     © Oxford Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers 2016 - Reading Banch